Hi friends!

Welcome to my ASL Vlog! ASL (American Sign Language) is the most beautiful language in the world!

Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Message for Rally Supporters of Indiana DBC"



This is a video message for those who will attend and support Indiana Deaf Bilingual Coalition Rally at Purdue University this weekend, Nov 30th - Dec 1st.

Hi, I'm here to keep communication open with you all. This message is for those rally supporters who are thinking about going to Purdue University for the Indiana DBC rally this Friday and Saturday. I want to share with you all that I have been in communication with the police. The police have shared their communication with me regarding the planned rally. I want to share what was communicated to me to make sure we are all on the same page so that there will not be any misunderstandings. Purdue itself is a public university and Stewart Center, where we will go for the rally, is also a public place. We can enter the building, we can be in the hallway, we can mingle in the lobby and we also can be on the sidewalk outside of the building. What is important is that we do not block the doors to the building, we have to let people walk in and out of the door freely. We cannot block the hallway, we have to let the people walk freely in the halls. We cannot go near where the registration table for "Hear Indiana Conference", we need to stay back from that area. Also Purdue has other activities and events on campus where students coagulate, we cannot disrupt these events and activities on campus. We need to respect these activities and events occurring on campus.

Remember our purpose to go to the rally is to support ASL for Deaf babies. We are not there to protest or complain. For those of you who will go to the rally, please be friendly, smile, stay positive, keep the peace and be respectful to everyone. I want to mention a word often mentioned in statements by some people which have labeled us as "protestors", I want to be clear in informing the public that we are not protestors. We are supporters.

DBC, Deaf Bilingual Coalition, has a purpose and that is to inform, educate, and raise public awareness. ASL is truly important. ASL improves education and literacy for all deaf babies and children. DBC wants to make sure that families who have deaf children and babies are able to succeed and grow. It is true that ASL provides the best guarantee of good education, literacy and happiness for all families, deaf babies and children.

The goal for us at the rally is to keep an open dialogue and to give support to families that have deaf children and babies. We want to raise awareness about AGB's oral training method which is called AVT, Auditory Verbal Training, AGB's principles which is outlined in their website, #3 which states that "families should train and not use sign language or lipreading..." and #5 and #6 which states "families should use listening skills at all times in their child's life....". Also AGB provides assistance by giving funds to families who files a lawsuit against schools that promote ASL education. It's called "Children Legal Advocacy Program". DBC does not agree with AGB's approach.

The BEST guarantee for deaf babies to succeed and improve their literacy skills, education, English skills, learning other languages, speech, family relations, etc. is ASL.

DBC is concerned that AGB has labeled us as "hearing loss" which causes nothing but stigma and negative view of us which prevents people from embracing deaf babies. DBC hopes that AGB will understand our concern, be more aware of, and embrace deaf babies so that families can grow, succeed and be happy.

Babies between the age of 0-5 years old are in the most critical period for language learning. ASL is guaranteed, 100%, for access to success!

DBC does not agree with AGB's "one way approach" which rejects ASL.

As most of you are aware, hearing parents are teaching their hearing babies, "Baby Signs". Research have shown that those babies have improved their English development, which shows that ASL is important and critical for deaf babies as well.

DBC is interested in the deaf child's "whole, healthy family approach".

So, the purpose for us to attend the rally is to make sure there is open dialogue to show the truth. The truth is that ASL is definitely "Success for Life".

Thank you.

22 comments:

todos la vie said...

Wow, very clear explanation of DBC and focus of the supporting engagement this weekend. I love your calm demeanor. I look forward to hearing more about what happens.

Jay said...

Perfecto! Clear and concise mission and purpose. You make a wonderful spokesperson.

Only 24 hours before the rally!

IamMine said...

I concur with the comments above!

Excellent! I wish your vlog could have been captioned for the non-signers and parents who are alerted about your presence there.

It would really help remove any negative feelings they may already have and spread that to other parents that they need not to feel threatened or be afraid to talk with the supporters and would not be attacked or criticized for their choices made with their deaf children. But that there is support being offered out there for them by the Deaf Community in ASL.

Thank you, Jill!

I look forward to your subsequence vlogs about the rally!

I wish you all the success! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow so nice to see DBC talking points (that we all sweated over the past few days heh) in ASL!!! You signed these beautifully.

The truth!!! :)

DE

DeafKathy (Wilson) said...

I agree with you, we need to provide our 110% of true sportsmenship when joining the rally to support ASL.
ASL = Always Success for Lifetime!

Domvera said...

Jill,

You did an excellent job to convey the clarification of DBC's mission statement and the approach of AGBell. I absolutely agreed with Jay about your outspoken person. You could be one of DBC's outspoke person at the rally and open the dialogue with AGBell and Hear Indiana.
My heart glowed already after you conveyed the message. I am here to support DBC-Indiana all the way. On that weekend, I will think of you all.

ASL is like an essential gold to our community to preserve. Cheers!

Nick Vera

Platonic's Eye said...

Beautiful and very clear and simple goal and very rhetoric. I watched all the way from the beginning at first seemed very rock now become clear msg.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about how very important to have ASL for the deaf babies for life.. Honesty is the best policy..:) hope and pray that alot of hearing and AGB will see other view of your point about ASL .. thankyou for thisinformation:)KH

Beaux Arts de Boutjean said...

Jill,

Extremely well organized!
Can you caption your vlog
so I can send it to my
hearing friends?

Hopefully!

Jean

John Lestina --- said...

Need your help!: CLICK HERE

Anonymous said...

I am thinking about LaRhonda. I think she can help you with translating from ASL to English. You may want to email and ask her? She has the email address on her blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try and translate Jill's vlog. Please do let us know if someone is doing it so I don't have to duplicate the effort. I'm 3/4ths done.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful planning!

Hope that the "National" Deaf Bilingual Coalition (DBC)can learn from you guys so that they can prepare for the AG Bell's biggest convention in the Summer of 2008.

Great job, Indiana DBC!

Hugs to one of each.....

Keep us posted.

White Ghost

Jared said...

This vlog needs transcript for non-signers. Very well done!!

Anonymous said...

Jill and John

I see your T-shirt with slogans that makes me amazed.

“Stop oppression language
Deaf babies and children have rights America sign language
ASL”

Is that correct?

Tami and I (Maria) created our idea of the slogans, but it was a little sad about customers didn’t buy many of our black T- shirt with slogans at the ASL EXPO Florida. I almost got rid of our slogans when David said “No, he likes it.”

It comes true that you wear
T-shirt for planning demonstrations at Purdue University.

LaRonda said...

Hi John and Jill. I would be more than happy to help with the ASL to English translation. Let me know which videos you want me to translate and I'll write it out for you. You can VP me too. My number should be on your VP as Jill and i have chatted before.

~ LaRonda

John Lestina --- said...

Thank you very much!: CLICK HERE

deafk said...

Jill & John,

Wow, you plan this beautifully! I wish I were there to help you out, but you are on my mind when it occurs, tmw & sat. Posters are wonderful, too!

Frances11 said...

Hey Jill,
Wow,you are very cool and Thumbs up. of course, keep ASL for life.

Hey ABC,
I want to congratulate you and wish you good luck at the rally this weekend. oh darn, I live in Texas too far, ha ha.
Thanks for sharing
Bobby Lopez

Anonymous said...

Bobby,
Did you know that there's another AGBell event, I believe related to AVT, that should be happening in Dallas, TX, anytime soon. I forgot when exactly. Maybe you can look into this and get the DBC people in Texas together to keep on telling AGBell to talk to us and to show more respect to ASL and Deaf people as they are....
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

You planned very beautifully! and it should go smoothly when time comes. I wish I could be there and support. I have my kids' activities this weekend but I will be thinking of you two and all supporters all the way. Please update me afterwards.

Good Luck!!
CJ

Frances11 said...

Hey Ella,
Thank you very much for inform me and comment,Thumbs up!!!! :-)
yes,I got Joey's email from your comment and I already send to him few ago. I hope that He will report you that what do I say. that is his famous in Vlog.

Hey Jill,
I want to tell you so I am sorry that I did not mean ignore you so I want comment to Ella about DBC rally in Dallas and explain to Joey,ok.
I want to say Thank Jill, Ella, and Joey very much for cooperation.
Bobby Lopez